[lbo-talk] OED: intellectual

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jan 19 12:43:41 PST 2007

> CB: That's certainly a rough definition.

No. Precise ***FOR 1531_. The word was used exactly in that sense (abstracting from semiotic quibbles). Your objection implies a vulgar Platonism.The world changes, word usage changes. That's why the OED is so invaluable.

Carrol

^^^^^

CB: I'm not objecting ( so couldn't be vulgar Platonism, 'cause I'm not saying a word's definition doesn't change). I'm approving.

I asked for a rough definition, and the one you gave meets that request. I mean rough in the sense it takes a long time to read it, and it's so long it's rough to think it all the way through , and keep the whole changing thing in mind at one time.

( What's the OED definition of "rough" ?)