[lbo-talk] Benny Strikes Again: "This Holocaust will be different"

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jan 19 18:51:14 PST 2007

Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Joanna writes:
>
>> The first holocaust was a mass, state led pogrom that targeted
>> innocent and helpless people.
>> Arab aggression against Israel has a much more complicated
>> history: a reaction against the colonialism, terrorism, and
>> theft that attended the founding of the zionist state,
>> continuing with the reaction to the permanent occupation of
>> Palestine and treatment of Palestinians since 67, and also
>> including the need for corrupt regimes to win popular support by
>> targeting Israel.
>

> In other words: if the country and people of Israel get nuked by the
> government of Iran, well hey, they had it coming to them? I know
> you've made no secret of your contempt for the positions and actions
> of the Israeli government, but ... is your emphasis on "innocent and
> helpless" above because you think that there are no innocent and
> helpless people in Israel?

Not at all. I was trying to show that the the two situations are not the same. They are not the same. Saying that is not the same as arguing that Iran should nuke Israel.

>> But what he plants in your mind is that the destruction of Israel
>> is the same as the mass murder of a newly born infant and the
>> subsequent deportation and death of its mother in WWII Europe.
>

> That's not exactly what he planted in my mind, but I think the kind of
> scenario he sketches -- a drive toward ownership of nuclear weapons
> specifically in order to enable the extinguishment of the state of
> Israel even at the expense of the state of Iran -- isn't all that
> different from a sketch of The Final Solution, except that maybe he
> thinks the mullahs are much less concerned with what happens after
> that task is completed as compared to Hitler's plans.
>
> I have no idea whether his prediction will come true, but I don't
> think it's a stretch to agree that the state of Israel has enemies and
> Iran is one of them and nuclear tipped missiles fired to the west from
> there would be a very bad thing for lots of reasons.

1. No one has shown that Iran has nuclear weapons. 2. Morris' article lays the foundation for why Israel should attack Iran, which, right now is doing nothing other than developing nuclear power technology. 3. Israel has a couple of hundred nuclear warheads and has gone on record saying that it will use this technology even in the event of say, regime change in an Arab country that is not to Israel's liking. 4. Yes, the state of Israel has enemies. Why is it not OK to ever discuss the reasons for that. It's not enough to say that they have enemies.

joanna