[lbo-talk] Obama 'was educated in madrassa'

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 11:00:32 PST 2007

I am aware of Obama's limitations. But it already says something that the conservative press feels it has to race bait him as an Ayrab terrorist rather than as a black man. He's also not quite as centrist as you are making out -- he's not a Clinton (Bill or Hilary), he record in Illinois is pretty good; he's now running on having opposed the war; it's true his style is highly conciliatory and he opposes conflict and will not fight hard for things we want and need. But does have a gift for winning over conservatives without pandering to them, basically by making it seem as (and maybe it is true) that he really listens. And the candidates who support the positions we like -- Edwards to some degree, Kuchinich -- poll in the single digits and have no choice. So insofar as one is going to play presidential game at all, at the present it's Obama or Hilary, and he's way better and has a far better chance. She's way too polarizing. Usual caveats about spineless and untrustworthy Democrats.