[lbo-talk] What's the deal with conservatives, economists, and the minimum wage?

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 20 14:40:29 PST 2007

On 1/19/07, Jason McCullough <lbo-talk at hronk.com> wrote:
> Any blazes of amateur sociology on why business and economic types are such
> assholes about this specific area? You'd think it involved their mothers.

The narrow ideological outlook of bourgeois individualism is at play here too. It affects their perception when it comes to gauging their interests. As Marx points out in the first few pages of CAPTIAL VOL 3, wages form part of the cost-price of a commodity. Lower wages can help the capitalist gain market share by enabling the commodity to be sold at a lower price. The perception on the capitalist side of the class struggle is that higher wages are always a drag on gaining market share.

"Shall we move the business to Vietnam, Norm?"

Regards, Mike B)

Watch the communist manifestoon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1oGIffyVVk