Is Sex Fun for Girls? (Re: [lbo-talk] Nepal gays and Maoists/Marxist Approach)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 09:52:28 PST 2007

> Pleasure is now the historically evolved function of
> sex for human
> beings -- till relatively recently in history most
> women probably had
> little pleasure from it.

Meaning of this please -- is there a human activity that has, even in a historically limited way just one function that merits the definite article? And what do you mean by "pleasure," as opposed to what? Economic need involved in keeping a provider, obsession, submission to greater force, producing children, what? Evidence for this vague claim?

And its scope? "Relatively recently" -- since when? The invention of the vibrator in the late 19th century? The development of reliable condoms in the early 20th? The early John Donne seems to be interesting in pleasing his obscure objects of desire, likewise Ovid. The Indians (from India had whole sexual theology embodied in the kama sutra, about which I know very little, but is it all, How to Please your Man?)

And what makes you think that some such claims are true? Howe do we know what sex was like for women in ancient Babylon or among the hunter gatherers of the Kalahari? Maybe someone here has some evidence. Please deluge us with your usual set of obscure references. I am surprised you did not do so already.