[lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 22 16:51:25 PST 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 7:12 PM, Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

> And incidentally, Stallman writes things like (on his excellent
> political newsfeed):
>
> "Please don't accept the invitation to post your statements of Atheism
> (or anything) on YouTube.com. That site is designed so as to require
> proprietary software (the Flash player) in order to view anything. If
> you want to post a video, post an Ogg Theora file on your own site."
> <http://www.stallman.org/archives/2006-nov-feb.html>

Nope, nothing purist about that!

Does it ever occur to people who take positions like this that most computer users have neither the time nor the inclination to get so deeply into things? I've been playing with computers for about 35 years; got my first home machine, a Vector Graphic Z-80 CP/M thing, in 1981. You had to get pretty down & dirty with it in those days. But now I just don't want to be bothered. I hardly ever delved into the Unix core of OS X; I just want the pretty wrapper to take care of everything, and look shimmeringly lovely while doing it.

Doug