[lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:44:49 PST 2007

On 1/23/07, ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
> Hey, if the Church of Marx can show me even 1/10th
> of that sort of achievement I will find the sneering a bit less believable!

I actually think the communist and anarchist communities should cautiously rejoice. But it's not Stallman who LBO'ers would be most interested in, but rather his pro bono general counsel, Columbia law prof Eben Moglen. He discusses how activists are chipping and smashing away at capitalism in a fragile area.

His "dotCommunist Manifesto" and "Anarchism Triumphant" essays were entertaining. He quite boldly argued: "Modern bourgeois society with its relations of production, of exchange and of property, a society that has conjured up such gigantic means of production and of exchange, is like the sorcerer's apprentice, who is no longer able to control the powers of the nether world whom he has called up by his spells." <http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/publications/dcm.html>

Did you catch his recent talk? More measured than the quote above:

"We did not put up barbed wire, and so when they came to scoff, they remained to pray. And now, the force of what we are is too strong for a really committed, really adversary, really cornered, really big monopoly to do anything about.

"That's pretty good work, in a short period of time, that you all did. You changed the balance of power in a tiny way. But when you look at it against the long background of the history of who we are and what we want, it was an immense strategic victory, and not a small tactical engagement. Now, as usual, when you win a small tactical engagement that turns out to be a large strategic victory, you have to consolidate the gains, or the other side will take them back. So we are now moving into a period in which what we have to do is to consolidate the gains. We have to strengthen our own understanding about what our community can do." <http://www.geof.net/research/2006/moglen-notes>

Tayssir