Lerabing Code (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 23 08:42:26 PST 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:40 AM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Of course, the point being made is not that you should learn Unix,
> but rather that you should think about how software is made, under
> what economic and social pressures, and choose accordingly as a
> consumer. Stalman doesn't want you to write code (unless you can,
> in which case you "should"), he wants you to *use* code that was
> made in this way.
>
> It's absolutely no different than thinking about Nike shoes are
> made, and takes no more work.

I'm all for learning about how software is made, just like how anything else is made. What annoys me is the suggestion that I shouldn't use OS X, but should use Linux instead; I shouldn't use Flash player, but I should use Ogg Vorbis instead. Well, does a hair shirt come with those prescriptions?

Doug