Lerabing Code (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou)

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 23 09:34:54 PST 2007

On 1/23/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The social division of labor aside, one benefit is
> that masses who knew about Unix line commands might be
> better able to actually run the new society by
> themselves. Me, I'd rather suffer dental surgery
> without anesthetic than learn Unix. You guys run that
> aspect of the new society for me, OK?

The _Unix Hater's Handbook_ [1] should console anyone who ever secretly harbored the heresy that Un*x was bullshit. (And a four-letter word, in my book).

Though in retrospect, it may not be in the best taste... "I liken starting one's computing career with Unix, say as an undergraduate, to being born in East Africa. It is intolerably hot, your body is covered with lice and flies, you are malnourished and you suffer from numerous curable diseases. But, as far as young East Africans can tell, this is simply the natural condition and they live within it. By the time they find out differently, it is too late. They already think that the writing of shell scripts is a natural act." — Ken Pier, Xerox PARC

[1] Website: <http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/unix-haters.html> Book: <http://www.simson.net/ref/ugh.pdf>

Tayssir