[lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Tue Jan 23 09:30:18 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:51:25PM -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Does it ever occur to people who take positions like this that most
> computer users have neither the time nor the inclination to get so
> deeply into things?

Actually, no, it never occurs to them.

This same sentiment is why, to most of the business world, their IT shops are just big black money-sucking holes full of sanctimonious nerds who do a bunch of shit that the nerds can't explain to the business, but to some degree, the business knows they need.

At our shop, the nerds don't understand why the users called the helpdesk to complain their PCs are acting slow today - if they had only read the 35 page manual sent to them 4 weeks ago it clearly explained that today is "upgrade all your software day" and things might seem sluggish. Oh sorry, today is when you do FI close? Oops!

That is a slight - slight - exaggeration.

And then the nerds whine about being outsourced - commoditized and replaced by something(one) cheaper. How could this possibly happen!?!?!?!

"IT Business Alignment" is becoming all the rage: recognizing that IT is just something a business consumes, and that good IT shops understand their business customers and can interact with them without sounding like a bunch of purist nerds.

We shall see.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

"Hold your fire" - that's what I told the FBI.

-Kool Keith