[lbo-talk] more on the Murdoch-Hillary connex

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 23 10:02:58 PST 2007

<http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0107/ A_Murdoch_in_Clintonworld.html>

A Murdoch in Clintonworld [Ben Smith]

I thought I'd begin this thing on comfortable terrain, with a small advance on a reportorial obsession of mine: Rupert Murdoch's relationship with Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Here's how close they've grown: Murdoch's daughter-in-law, Kathryn (center, above), is currently employed by none other than the Clinton Foundation (!), working with old-time Clintonite Ira Magaziner (!!) on climate change issues (!!!). Kathryn Murdoch is married to the London-based James Murdoch, who's now the heir apparent to the family empire; she's described in print as a model and marketing executive.

Rupert hasn't made a move yet in the 2008 sweepstakes, and has no particular reason to do so soon. Giuliani, in his confidential fundraising plan I obtained when I was at the New York Daily News, appears to assume Murdoch's support; he's also close to McCain; and while he supported Hillary in New York, he hasn't given any sign that he'll back her for President.

Indeed, the Murdoch-Clinton relationship has always been less about Hillary than about Bill. But even if he doesn't endorse her, their ties can help dial down a conservative noise machine in which Fox News and the New York Post are quite major players.