[lbo-talk] how black does Obama want to be?

Gary Mongiovi MONGIOVG at stjohns.edu
Tue Jan 23 10:25:00 PST 2007

The best part of this story is the prospect that Rev. Al might get into the 2008 Presidential race. He'll be a terrific counterbalance to the "centrism" that most of the other candidates are likely to embrace, and he'll get some meaningful issues out on the table. He thinks better on his feet than most of the Dems who have thrown their hats in so far, and on most of the issues that matter to the left he's spot-on. Since Sharpton's chances of winning are nil, he can say things that upset middle-of-the-roaders. But he can help pull the conversation leftward, esp if John Edwards has the stones to acknowledge that there's a lot of common ground between his message and Sharpton's.

Gary