[lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Jan 23 13:56:08 PST 2007

At around 23/1/07 12:30 pm, Matt wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:51:25PM -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> Does it ever occur to people who take positions like this that most
>> computer users have neither the time nor the inclination to get so
>> deeply into things?
>
> Actually, no, it never occurs to them.
>
> <...>
>
> At our shop, the nerds don't understand why the users called the
> helpdesk to complain their PCs are acting slow today - if they had only
> read the 35 page manual sent to them 4 weeks ago it clearly
> explained that today is "upgrade all your software day" and things might
> seem sluggish. Oh sorry, today is when you do FI close? Oops!

So, let me understand this. The fucking suits and bean-counters got a document sent to them ahead of time that said the software was to be upgraded on a particular day. They chose neither to read it, nor to complain that it was too voluminous to read (which is a joke considering the shit that I am required to read about workplace this or that, not to mention the 20 page health insurance plans, and what not). And scheduled an important event (assuming that's what FI means) for the same day. If I was the IT guy, I wouldn't say "Oops", I would say "serves you right".

Of course we are not talking about IT support here, but about the Free Software movement, and in particular, Stallman. And it is amusing as hell to hear "the left" disparage "getting deeply into things". I guess we should just post blog entries and run straw polls, eh?

> And then the nerds whine about being outsourced - commoditized and
> replaced by something(one) cheaper.

As opposed to whom? The Joe on the assembly-line who is embracing his fellow worker in China and India in solidarity?

Great stuff to read on LBO, though perhaps I shouldn't be that surprised. ;-) Disgruntled about losing your job? Well hey its your lack of Business Alignment!

--ravi