[lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 23 15:11:11 PST 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 5:31 PM, Andy F wrote:

> On 1/23/07, ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>
>> Of course we are not talking about IT support here, but about the
>> Free
>> Software movement, and in particular, Stallman. And it is amusing as
>> hell to hear "the left" disparage "getting deeply into things". I
>> guess
>> we should just post blog entries and run straw polls, eh?
>
> Yeah, no shit. Somebody went and tried to Do Something, wound up
> making large chunks of the means of production all commie-like, and
> gets cut down for being too idealistic. I can't help but take note.

By the way, it seems to me that the biggest enthusiasts for this sort of thing are software producers, not users. That's not a bad thing, of course; throwing off the chains of commodification and exploitation are always admirable. But software producers often assume a level of interest in drilling deep into things among the broad public that may not exist.

And doesn't IBM use Linux, and a bevy of other corps? Are they part of the communist conspiracy?

Doug