[lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Tue Jan 23 19:35:36 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 04:56:08PM -0500, ravi wrote:

[...]

> Of course we are not talking about IT support here, but about the Free
> Software movement, and in particular, Stallman. And it is amusing as
> hell to hear "the left" disparage "getting deeply into things". I guess
> we should just post blog entries and run straw polls, eh?

Just to clarify, my anecdotes are just to illustrate my answer to Doug - that no, often the FOSS movement forgets or ignores that people who don't consider computers a hobby just think of them as a tool to make their lives easier. I see it in the public and corporate spaces.

I don't recall writing "getting deeper into things" so I am not sure who you are quoting. But I think it is fair to recognize that people want more leisure time, not less, so spending it learning FOSS might not be a priority for them.

Stallman has his place and someone needs to fight that fight and have his position. But FOSS advocates (I am one of them) need to come to terms with what we are reading here: to a lot of people, all that expectation to use it and embrace it just seems like a pain in the ass.

> Great stuff to read on LBO, though perhaps I shouldn't be that
> surprised. ;-) Disgruntled about losing your job? Well hey its your lack
> of Business Alignment!

Actually it is more like: Disruntled about losing your job? See, you really are working-class.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

No pleasure is comparable to the standing upon the vantage-ground of truth.

-Francis Bacon