[lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 24 06:28:54 PST 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:06 AM, Yann Morvan wrote:

> I know it's a bit prosaic but the free as in free beer thing can
> make a difference:
> -Photoshop CS2 at the French Adobe Store: 1075.20 euros
> -The GIMP (G as in GNU): 0 euros
> The GIMP's interface would have to seriously suck (and it doesn't)
> to make up for the time spent at work earning a Photoshop licence.

You know, I'm not a cheerleader for capitalism. Adobe's stuff is particularly overpriced and restrictively licensed too. But I understand there are these stores in Russia...

Anyway, <http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/> tells me:

> There are various ways to obtain and install the GIMP for your
> Macintosh. In addition to the source code distribution here on
> www.gimp.org, there are various alternative sources for packaged
> and commercially distributed CDs, which aim to make installation
> and setup an easier task. These include:
>
> Gimp.app provides a self contained application bundle of the GIMP
> for OS X. Gimp.app requires Apple's X11.app. Gimp.app is packaged
> by Aaron Voisine.
> Fink is a package management system that provides everything
> necessary to build GIMP. The Fink project is based upon the Debian
> apt-get package management tools, and can resolve dependencies
> among the various components necessary for a working GIMP
> installation. A typical install, however, will require that you
> have a working C compiler, which Apple supplies on a companion CD
> to Mac OS X. The current gimp package maintainer for the Fink
> project is Alexander Strange. The default location for GIMP when
> installed with fink is /sw/bin/gimp.
> In a similar approach, DarwinPorts provide an easy way to install
> various open-source software products on Mac OS X. The gimp2
> portfile is maintained by Toby Peterson. DarwinPorts places the
> GIMP binary into /opt/local/bin.
> In the future, it is hoped that the MetaPkg project will unify
> several of these installation methods, but the meta packaging
> system is not yet usable.
> The MacGIMP project provides the latest GIMP for Mac OS X in a
> packaged CD format. The MacGIMP project installs the GIMP in /opt/
> local/bin. MacGIMP efforts are led by Mat Caughron. Last year he
> helped the GIMP developers with a donation for their developers
> conference.

Now with a little work I could deal with all this, but I'm guessing 95% of users would look at this, throw up their hands, and check their bank balance.

There's always GraphicConverter, $25 shareware.

Doug