[lbo-talk] Erasure and/or devaluation of Labor in FOSS rhetoric (Re:Purer Than Thou)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 24 06:55:51 PST 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 9:12 AM, bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:

> "little to no capital investment" -- except if you have half a
> brain, it probably used just as much capital investment. Someone
> donated space to Wiki, others created entries, someone created the
> code, users supplied free market research and feedback, the kind
> that other companies pay for. None of this is "free" and you can
> assign a value to all of it and find out precisely how much it costs.

Wikipedia ain't free, either. It's pretty low-budget, but it has capital and operating expenses as well as salaries. Salaries in 2006 totaled $107,122, which, while quite small, are up from $16,930 in 2005 and $0 in 2004. Which suggests that when "free" things grow up they get more complex and expensive.

<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/ Wikimedia:About#How_is_the_revenue_spent.3F>

The full financial statements are at <http://upload.wikimedia.org/ wikipedia/foundation/2/28/Wikimedia_2006_fs.pdf>.