Books on FOSS (was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 24 15:23:47 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Daniel Davies wrote:
>
> > Computer programming is not difficult. Unix is super duper not
> > difficult. If
> > you had a computer in the days of MSDOS then you will be able to
> > understand
> > Unix.
>
> Yup. I used to do that stuff. I really don't want to anymore. Now I
> want it all to be pretty and easy so I can think about more
> interesting things. Glad I know it, though.

I liked DOS -- and don't like the complete non-transparency of Windows, which I find more difficult than DOS. I would not, however, be willing to mess around with unix, etc., for the reason Doug gives. An dthogh I agree with DD that everyone should study calculus, that is a differemt domain than computing. I've always regretted not taking Differential Equations & Advanced Integral calculus.

Carrol