Books on FOSS (was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou)

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 11:22:45 PST 2007

Daniel Davies wrote:

> To me this is deja vu all over again from the
> time I suggested that everyone have a go at
> learning calculus and we all got a fit of the
> shivers.

Actually, nowadays, the case for learning at least the foundations of computing may be stronger than the case for learning calculus. In science, industry, and life, the applications of discrete mathematics have exploded in comparison to the mathematics that requires continuity. I'm not saying calculus is to be discarded, but -- if things continue as they go -- soon high schoolers will be introduced to the main results of calculus and analysis in general through the back door of computing.