[lbo-talk] Union solidarity for killer cop

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 26 07:08:11 PST 2007

Bill quoted:

The Australian

January 26, 2007

QUEENSLAND police are threatening mass strikes over the state government's pursuit of manslaughter charges against the officer at the centre of the Palm Island death in custody case. Attorney-General Kerry Shine today said he had instructed the crown solicitor to initiate charges against Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley, after a report found there was enough evidence to prove he was responsible for the death of Mulrunji Doomadgee in November 2004.

[WS:] Yeah, we have holy pigs here in Baltimore too. Just recently, officers in the narcotics unit were caught planting "evidence," blackmailing suspects into having sex in exchange for dropping phony charges and similar offences. It was so bad that the whole unit was dismantled, and dozens if not hundreds of pending court cased had to be dropped.

You would guess that the officers involved in this scam would go to jail, no? No way, Jose. The Baltimore jury of "peers" acquitted them of all charges. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_city/bal-te.ci.jones24jan24 ,0,4314199.story

If someone tells me that the jury system is anything else but a farce and stupid popularity contest, I would laugh in his/her face. I have been refusing playing any part in this farce, even though I have been summoned every year since I moved to Baltimore 14 years ago.

Wojtek