[lbo-talk] neal conan

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Fri Jan 26 07:41:22 PST 2007

I enjoyed Steve Philion's piece on NPR and Neal Conan. I was on Talk of the Nation a couple of years ago to talk about labor. Conan was very polite to Steve Greenhouse of the NYT. Less so to me. He got really testy when I said that NAFTA and other such agreements had done damage to workers in Canada, US, and Mexico (Economic Policy Institute has a good article on this in its archives). He said, in a rather condescending tone, that this was debatable and lots of economists would disagree. I said the data were pretty clear and I'd be happy to debate these economists on his show. No response. After the show I wrote to his producer to thank her for ahving me on the show. I again offered to debate the economists. I never got an answer.

Michael Yates