[lbo-talk] subsidizing Big Pharma

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 09:19:23 PST 2007

I finally saw the Mike Judge (Beavis & Butthead, _Office Space_) movie _Idiocracy_, filmed unflatteringly in Austin, and this theme was sort of taken up in the movie, depicting a future where the overwhelming bulk of pharma-company research went into helping men get laid and stave off baldness, rather than much less profitable areas. _Idiocracy_ is cloaked in a thick stew of low brow humor and b-movie schlock (as well as misconceptions about the theory of evolution and maybe a bit of misanthropy) but the underlying message was pretty timely. And funny. (Water replaced by sports drinks, etc.)

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Wall Street Journal - January 26, 2007
>
> SCIENCE JOURNAL
> By SHARON BEGLEY
>
> Why Nonprofits Fund
> For-Profit Companies
> Doing Drug Research
>
> Science has made paralyzed rats walk, cured mice of
cancer and eliminated Alzheimer's in more lab rodents than you can count. Human patients? Not so much.

> "There's frustration that developments from academic
labs don't get picked up by [drug and biotech] companies," says Dayton Coles. As a board member of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, he has seen promising discovery after promising discovery emerge from the university labs that JDRF has funded, but none has turned into a cure for type-1 diabetes, which his daughter has.