[lbo-talk] A Liberal Blogger Watches the Antiwar Rally on C-SPAN

jrdavis from_alamut at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 14:09:29 PST 2007

I really think that the demos are really a waste of activists time and scarce resouces to go to these Washington DC rituals. They basically just help the DC economy and give the police overtime pay. More creative ways of protest need to be devised or at least move them away from the tired old locations. Idea: how about moving national demos to Wichita KS or Boise Idaho?

jim

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

jrdavis wrote:

> The problem with throwing everything including the "kitchen sink" into
> these events is that no one including alot of the Left is going to
> agree on all of them. They are set up to alienate. Personally, a rally
> against the Iraq war should be just that a single issue event.

But it's not going to be. The anti-war effort is a de facto democracy. Your position is disruptive, for while the bulk of the movment will be focused just on Iraq, there would be no movement except for the ongoing work of those who have a sense of what is actually involved in the mideast. Afterall, we are the ones who do most of the work in keeping the movement going between the bib demos, and without us there would be no demo for,you to whine about. So whether you like us or not, we will always be one of the faces of the movement.