[lbo-talk] Sociobiology

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Sun Jan 28 10:38:11 PST 2007

As I've pointed out before, "creationist" nonsense is not the only alternative to the scientific materialism of the orthodox neo- Darwinian explanation of the fact of evolution, the explanation underpinning "sociobiology". The self-contradictory (e.g. it's not possible without self-contradiction to to derive from them any claim about what we "ought" to do in our sexual or any other activity) ontological ideas constitutive of this explanation are also inconsistent with the continental tradition in philosophy represented by Hegel, Marx and Husserl. As I've also pointed out before, the role given to these ideas in orthodox evolutionary theory have been made the object of explicit criticism by another representative of this tradition, A.N. Whitehead. The most succinct version of this criticism is found in The Function of Reason. This is now available free online at:

http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=6326292

The following passage from Chap. 1 summarizes a key criticism.

“there is another factor in evolution which is not in the least explained by the doctrine of the survival of the fittest. Why has the trend of evolution been upwards? The fact that organic species have been produced from inorganic distributions of matter, and the fact that in the lapse of time organic species of higher and higher types have evolved are not in the least explained by any doctrine of adaptation to the environment, or of struggle.

“In fact the upward trend has been accompanied by a growth of the converse relation. Animals have progressively undertaken the task of adapting the environment to themselves. They have built nests, and social dwelling-places of great complexity; beavers have cut down trees and dammed rivers; insects have elaborated a high community life with a variety of reactions upon the environment.

“Even the more intimate actions of animals are activities modifying the environment. The simplest living things let their food swim into them. The higher animals chase their food, catch it, and masticate it. In so acting, they are transforming the environment for their own purposes. Some animals dig for their food, others stalk their prey. Of course all these operations are meant by the common doctrine of adaptation to the environment. But they are very inadequately expressed by that statement; and the real facts easily drop out of sight under cover of that statement. The higher forms of life are actively engaged in modifying their environment. In the case of mankind this active attack on the environment is the most prominent fact in his existence.

“I now state the thesis that the explanation of this active attack on the environment is a three-fold urge: (i) to live, (ii) to live well, (iii) to live better. In fact the art of life is first to be alive, secondly to be alive in a satisfactory way, and thirdly to acquire an increase in satisfaction. It is at this point of our argument that we have to recur to the function of Reason, namely the promotion of the art of life. The primary function of Reason is the direction of the attack on the environment.

“This conclusion amounts to the thesis that Reason is a factor in experience which directs and criticizes the urge towards the attainment of an end realized in imagination but not in fact.”

Ted