Evolutionary Theory (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Sociobiology)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 28 21:14:28 PST 2007

I am not sure how the discussion branched off into this issue, but I'm with the orthodox Darwinists here: the whole point of evolutionary theory is to break the fetters of the great chain of being. The notion of a "higher" form of evolution or indeed a directionality of any sort in evolution is a misunderstanding.

Natural selection sifts traits for adaptive fitness in an environment, i.e., having more babies that themselves reach reproductive age and propagate themselves. Period. There is no suggestion in the theory that a trait that promotes adaptive fitness is morally better, more valuable, more worth preserving, more beautiful, more complex, more interesting or anything that would in any sense could as "higher."

Organisms can end up with a set of traits that do not change at all in ant significant way for hundreds of millions of years (sharks) because their set is about as adaptively optimal as it can be. More complex life forms can be wiped out in mass or other extinctions because traits that were adaptive hen they evolved them were not adaptive in a changed set of circumstances.

If we annihilate ourselves with nuclear war or global warming, the cockroaches (another ancient, largely unchanged survivor for many hundreds of millions of years) will inherit the earth, and the spirit of Darwin will look placidly down and nod, thinking to itself that all is as it should be -- the theory is vindicated.

True, there's a popular misunderstanding that melds the great chain of being in a modern form with evolutionary development, stretching from single-celled organisms at the bottom to Man at the pinnacle; 19th and early 20th century social Darwinists notoriously used this confusion for racist purposes. But it's scientific rubbish; from the point of view of evolution, Man is no "higher" than a protozoan, and the only question to which evolution wants to know the answer is, is the collection of heritable traits wrapped up in this organism maximizing or at least satisficing adaptive fitness?

It's really precisely because evolutionary theory is a great leveler of all natural hierarchies, not because it puts humans as descendants of "lower" forms of life, that the fundamentalists have always correctly identified the theory as the enemy of their project. For them, God so loved human kind that gave his only son as a sacrifice so save us. For Darwin, God could not care less. It's a big cold empty indifferent universe out there and if there is meaning and value in it, we make it ourselves.