[lbo-talk] "over-saving"

Simon Archer simon.archer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 10:07:38 PST 2007

The NYT had an article last Saturday citing research that people are "over-saving" for retirement. The article was a basic isn't-this-counter-intuitive-and-fun given the social security 'crisis' and that junk. The paper it cited was less fluffy but more math than I can do - is there a robust case out there that there is any systemic 'over-saving'? IS there an analysis this is driven by the 401k industry and management fees? I realize that the over-savings measurment depends on assumptions about replacement income, legacies, etc. Also noted that the concept of over-saving of course obscured the real group who are most likely to under-save for retirement, single non-white women. -- simon.archer at gmail.com -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20070129/0da6d62d/attachment.htm>