[lbo-talk] LA woman

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Mon Jan 29 18:27:28 PST 2007

HA! It's a longshot, but I was contacted by a recruiter for a online training developer/project mgr in Westwood LA. I'm going to apply anyway because, hey, if they think my resume flies, then I might as well. My partner has zero interest in living in the people's republic of cali, but if the money's right.... The biggest thing is, we want to "go west, young man" to be near his family. I wouldhave had zero interest in LA -- until I read Dennis Claxton on the topic....

So what kind of income do you need to live a basic life? TRaining devs earn a good living here, so I'm guessing at least $85k? I'll check out the salary comparison calculators, too, but just thought I'd ask around, too. Part of the process is telling them your exact salary requirements.

Thanks for advice on the portfolio thing-a-roo. For the VIP job, it was a total waste of my time. I was under the impression that I'd be meeting with someone from HR. My real goal was to bring myself to their attention b/c I would like to get a job as a researcher with this particular company. Turns out that I was meeting with the person to whom I'd report, as well as a project lead. They totally didn't know what they were doing interviewing-wise.

BUT, it was TEH SUCKAGE (tm) because I never had time to get exact directions and was looking for a building right off main drag. They were in one of those office parks with twisty curvy roads to prevent speeding, with buildings that all look a like. They only went by building name, not ONE sign with name of company on it. And I need glasses like you wouldn't believe, so that was a joy. Does blindness sneak up on you really quickly like this? All of a sudden, one day, you can't read crap? Christ.

Interview Went well, in spite of being late. (I'd left early enough, supposedly, to get me there 15min. early, that's how bad it was! Traffic was a bitch!) They ended up selling me on what a great team they had, which is always a pretty good sign. But I still felt like a complete moron for being late. Not enough sleep night before, so my mouth was totally dry. BAH.

Even though it went well, toward the end of meeting I felt things quickly change. I always like it to dating. You're pearls over pumps and then get cold feet.

Recruiter who recruited me for gig, however, seems to think that he'd be surprised if we didn't get a call.

Second job was the one I knew was going to be fairly straightforward. They liked the portfolio, though. Read it while I sat there. Ugh. (Strategies for keeping yourself from filling in silence while people are reading your work?) *I* will be surprised if I don't hear from them. Pay's the suckage, though, and it's probably a fairly deadend job. However, it's a company for whom R could find work and in the course of interview, it turned out that he's a good candidate for work there. So I will prob. take the posish just to get him started and then move into something else asap. Tomorrow is totally deadend job, too. But, have to pay the bills.

Next up: Sr. Web Developer with some company in West Palm Beach. Like I wanna live in W. Palm Beach. But, it'll keep me in area as sonshine gets on his feet, and the pay rocks, even for W. Palm Beach.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org