[lbo-talk] art world in crisis!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 30 13:32:18 PST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 4:20 PM, bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:

> Chuck mentions the 80s. Didn't the same crap go down then with the
> whole Wall St. phenom?

My memory is even more than today. Art, at least in NYC, was all over the popular culture. Schnabel and all those other assholes were extremely visible. My first wife knew a woman who painted his stuff early in the morning before she went to her day job.

One of the early issues of The New Criterion - which was at once furiously Reaganite and high-culture snob, a real juggling act if there ever was one - had an ad for something called The Arbitrage Gallery. I thought that was pretty funny.

Doug