[lbo-talk] Air America finds buyer; Franken out

c p cpthron at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 13:35:17 PST 2007

>Message: 6
>Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:47:25 -0500
>From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>
>Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Air America finds buyer; Franken out
>To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>
>
>Doug:
>

>Founded in 2004 as an alternative to right-wing talk radio shows, Air
>America has been plagued with financial problems since the beginning.
>A number of high-profile individuals helped finance the network,
>including Rob Glaser, the chief executive of RealNetworks, and
>Sheldon and Anita Drobny, longtime Democratic activists. The Drobnys
>have since split off and founded their own liberal radio network.
>

>[WS:] This speaks volumes about the prospects of anything even modestly
>left
>of the center with the US public. The right wing talk show radio shows
>seem
>to be doing quite well. \
>
>PS. In one of your previous posts re. Hillary you said "your predilection
>for extravagant assertions." May I ask which of those assertions you - and
>others - consider extravagant? Think of this question as a public opinion
>poll rather than a polemical response.
>
>Wojtek

The Santa Cruz station was owned by a family which also runs the right wing station, and they made the Air America station unlistenable. First, they would truncate hours of Air America shows to radio infomercials selling health cures, or people paying to have their own hourly show. They would play crotchety conservative opinion editorials by the mother of the main operator during commercial breaks. This owner claimed that he didn't sell a single advertisement locally during the whole time he syndicated Air America, and would go on the air telling liberals to send him checks like with NPR, or he'd shut it off, and calling the listeners ingrates. It was difficult to buy this because lots of local publications had dozens of ads from the local businesses. When someone sent them an envelope of white powder, I almost suspected that they mailed it to themselves for publicity.

_________________________________________________________________ Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG