[lbo-talk] art world in crisis!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 30 15:57:49 PST 2007

"Charles A. Grimes" wrote:

> ``Art is what people define as art....to be seen as Capital A aret,
> there always had to be gatekeepers...''
>
> --------
>
> The first part is right, but that changes the second part which is
> mostly wrong. Here's how.
>
> I like what I like as art. There fore I don't need a
> gatekeeper. Because I grew up around the arts I never depended on a
> taste maker or gatekeeper

Chuck, this is bizarre. The proposition "I grew up around the arts" is in blatant contradiction to "I never depended...." You should have written, "The fact that I grew up around what were presented to me as arts demonstrates the the truth of Art is what people define as art. How did you know that the things surrounding you were Art rather than weo;kasdjkl?

Carrol