[lbo-talk] art world in crisis!

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Jan 30 20:23:18 PST 2007

Ted Winslow wrote:

> Not if, as Marx claims, "beauty" is objective and social relations can
> be more or less successful in developing a "sense" for it.
>
> [snippage]
> For not only the five senses but also the so-called
> mental senses, the practical senses (will, love, etc.), in a word,
> human sense, the human nature of the senses, comes to be by virtue of
> its object, by virtue of humanised nature. The forming of the five
> senses is a labour of the entire history of the world down to the present.

This passage directly contradicts your claim! The development of the senses is a social process, and beauty is a product of the interaction between the world and our socially developed senses. Beauty is not something that objectively exists independent of the social processes that produce our mental and sensory capacities.

Miles