[lbo-talk] Sociobiology

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Jan 31 08:34:44 PST 2007

Jerry M.

Charles.

I suggest you read Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species by Sarah Hrdy for a humble, interesting, and limited explanation of the sociobiological project.

^^^^^ CB: What is there in Mother Nature pertinent to this thread ?

^^^^^^^^

http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Nature-Maternal-Instincts-Species/dp/0345408934 /sr=8-1/qid=1170259692/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3000968-7369719?ie=UTF8&s=books

Unless historical materialism can both integrate and criticize sociobiology it has condemned itself to irrelevance and ignorance.

^^^^ CB; My version of historical materialism already integrates a lot of biological/cultural anthropology and criticizes sociobiology...so...

^^^^^^

Besides that I have nothing to add to what Justin has said. He has stated the problem much better than I am able though I doubt that he would want someone who is morally depraved on his side.

Jerry

^^^^^^ CB: _The_ fitness problems for us now are the existence of thousands of nuclear warheads and global heating. Those shape today's moral issues significantly. By the way, E.O. Wilson is working to stop global heating, so sociobiology is doing good on that.

^^^^^^^