[lbo-talk] Cole: Iranian public very friendly towards US

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 31 09:06:48 PST 2007

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I don't think you can find a war favored by a whole industry or a
> whole capitalist class in a nation or the entire capitalist class in
> the world. But what counts is the organized part of capitalists in
> control of state power and their perception of what's good for
> themselves, their class, and their state. The rest of unorganized
> capitalists, who do have potential veto power through capital flight
> and the like, so far have let the White House do what it wants,
> though, so they are not really at odds with what it is doing either.

While squabbles over particulars are of course endless, I do not believe there has been any really major differences within the capitalist class since Taft lost the Republican nomination in 1952. Individual or even sectors of capitalists might have been sceptical or even opposed to this or that policy without _ever_ even seriously considering opposition which would amount to a 'veto' of the policy.

Those leftists committed as a matter of principle to engagement in presidential politics must, of course, hold dogmatically to the existence of substantial diffrences within the capitalist class. For example, LRS, after its more or less triumphant participation in the Jackson campaign in '88 spent its closing days looking for other candidates to support -- thus leading to the argument advanced by Chicago comrades that Daley represented the "progressive" wing of the bourgeosie. Determination to take a position in major-party electoral politics is a long slippery slope into irrrelevancy. The DP does not need our votes; it will never need our votes; and it will never give us even crumbs in return for our unneeded support.

Carrol