[lbo-talk] SEIU & health care

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 31 16:17:35 PST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 9:14 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> But here's what I don't understand: How could single-payer be won
> without a radical defeat of insurance interests? And are not
> "insurance
> interests" radically entangled with almost every other major
> element of
> u.s. capital?

Well yeah, but: 1) the big holders of financial assets are life insurance companies, not health insurance companies; there's overlap, but they're not identical; 2) insurance is big, but it's not dominant, and industrial capital might want to have its health insurance costs socialized; and 3) sometimes capital loses.

Doug