[lbo-talk] Vista

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Jan 31 20:24:05 PST 2007

Almost any Linux distro will be more sparing of memory and CPU than the contemporary Windows version, but the sad truth is that the Linux distros I've seen lately (Suse and Fedora Core) are fairly demanding on both counts. Slackware used to be the lean-and-mean Linux, but I haven't sampled their wares lately. Are they still around, even?

On the other hand, SuSe and Fedora will at least work just fine in a gig of RAM and they won't be full of security holes; and unless the present is very much unlike the past, anything from Microsoft will make you reboot a couple of times a day and expose your credit card numbers to anybody who really wants them. I'll be very surprised if Vista proves to be an exception. The great marketing imperative for Microsoft is featurization, rather than getting it right.