[lbo-talk] America the choo-choo

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 31 23:32:18 PST 2007

[As good sanity hygiene I rarely finish reading David Brooks' predictably hallucinatory columns, and the one excerpted below was no exception. Gotta love DB's imagery here though (but I don't think he intends quite this meaning): the USA as global runaway locomotive ... with all the world's population tied to the tracks.]

February 1, 2007 The Iraq Syndrome, R.I.P. By DAVID BROOKS

... Americans are having a debate about how to proceed in Iraq, but we are not having a strategic debate about retracting American power and influence. What’s most important about this debate is what doesn’t need to be said. No major American leader doubts that America must remain, as Dean Acheson put it, the locomotive of the world. ...

<http://select.nytimes.com/2007/02/01/opinion/01brooks.html?hp>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Turn searches into helpful donations. Make your search count. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG