[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Jul 2 12:48:11 PDT 2007

> wrobert
>
> While I generally have enjoyed this conversation with you Charles, I think
> that this accusation of redbaiting is bullshit. Folks have called you on
> being a bit dogmatic, but this does not constitute redbaiting. This
> tactic of claiming critics are engaged in redbaiting seems to be the last
> refuge of the Marxist-Leninist....

> ^^^^^
> CB: Sorry robert, but , it is indeed pretty typical redbaiting. Liberals
> pull out this "dogmatic marxist bullshit" all the time. I am no more
> dogmatic than you , Doug, or andie. And I'm going to blast it everytime it
> comes up. It's ad hominem , and a diversion from the debate, disgusting
> liberal nonsense.

To start off, neither Doug, andie, or I are liberals. So this is starting off on a pretty poor foot. As for the issue of dogmatism, I am sure there are issues that you are less dogmatic about than myself, but when it comes to Marx, the man must be presented as a saint at all times for you. I don't think that Marxists are inherently more dogmatic than other folks. Even 'orthodox Marxists' such as Lukacs, Lenin, and Bukharin are valuable critical theorists. Other Marxists on the list are not accused of dogmatism either. These comments are directed to your hagiography not the Marxist tradition valuable critical contributions.

> CB: I thought about this some more. One way to see that claims such as
> "dogmatic" or "defunct Bolshie" are typically redbaiting is that nobody is
> likely to accuse robert of being a "dogmatic Nietzschean". Or Doug isn't
> likely to ask "do you think that Keynesians are just better than everyone
> else?". Well, I guess "defunct Bolshie" is obviously redbaiting. Yet,
> Keynes seems to somewhat "defunct" in economic circles nowadays, but few
> would as readily call Doug a "dogmatic Keynesian."

Obviously it would be a bit problematic to charge me with being an 'dogmatic Nietzschean' as that I am not Nietzschean in the first place. I find it somewhat telling that you still won't recognize that I come out of an unorthodox Marxist tradition. As for the question of 'defunct Bolshie', the reference was to Preobrezhensky (I probably misspelled that). Unless you think that resolving contradictions of the early Soviet Union are extraordinarily important to understanding contemporary society, P. is primarily defunct except for historical interests. So unless a factual analysis is 'redbaiting', the accusation is unfounded. There has been nothing you have stated that would legitimate that accusation.

I'll return briefly to the question of N. briefly. The term 'slave morality' is generally a tedentious metaphor for the rise of christianity as a dominant ideology. So N's comments refer to Kings and industrialists as well as the poor. I suspect that N. is also involved in a reading of Aristotle as well, but I might be wrong on that.

robert wood