[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Jul 2 13:21:59 PDT 2007

wrobert To start off, neither Doug, andie, or I are liberals.

^^^^ CB: Ok , you are redbaiting _like_ liberals. I think andie has declared himself a liberal explicitly, though.

^^^^^

So this is starting off on a pretty poor foot.

^^^^^ CB: And I'm not dogmatic. So, you were the first one on the poor foot.

^^^^

As for the issue of dogmatism, I am sure there are issues that you are less dogmatic about than myself, but when it comes to Marx, the man must be presented as a saint at all times for you.

^^^^ CB: Geez , can't get off of that redbaiting can you. Starting to look like you might be an inveterate and dogmatic redbaiter. What you are saying is sort of like saying being a trenchant follower of Einstein in physics is to treat him like a saint at all times. Marx is a very correct, relatively more correct than most, but...

To be a little more specific, Marx is correct and Nietzsche is incorrect with respect to the class struggle. Marx champions the working class. Nietzche despises the working class ( ask andie).

^^^^^

I don't think that Marxists are inherently more dogmatic than other folks. Even 'orthodox Marxists' such as Lukacs, Lenin, and Bukharin are valuable critical theorists. Other Marxists on the list are not accused of dogmatism either. These comments are directed to your hagiography not the Marxist tradition valuable critical contributions.

^^^^^ CB: I ain't got no hagiography. Saying he is correct on the class struggle vis-a-vis Nietzsche, or that his theory is the most advanced relative truth of our era is not calling him a saint. I'm one of the most critical thinkers on this list. It must be your dogmatic thinking style that prevents you from noticing that.

In fact, Marxism is more critical thinking than Keynesianism, Nietzchean stuff, anarchism. Just by adhering to Marx's ideas more closely than others here makes me more of a critical thinker than those who do not. The most fundamentally critical thinking today is _still_ Marxism. The most critical thinking today is critique of capitalism. Marx's writing is riddled with "critiques" , and they are still fresh. Same with Lenin. I think if we look in the archives, we'll find some other Marxists here called dogmatic,or the like. It's a tired habit.

What's your criticism of Nietzsche ?

Oh and by the way, I quoted Frederick Douglass contra Nietzche , too. He wasn't a Marxist. That was a very , creative and critical thinking on my part, more critical thinking than anything I've seen from you on this thread.

You just got critiqued big time, because I'm a bigtime critical thinker, more of a critical thinker than you are.