[lbo-talk] Growth

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 2 15:47:22 PDT 2007

On Jul 2, 2007, at 6:36 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> My assumption is that human survival beyond the next century requires
> the complete (and probably permanent) cessation of economic growth.
> (Reduced population might make growth possible -- but that is
> speculation on the far future.) In the developed nations any social
> order replacing capitalism must make make this reduction in energy use
> and production of goods a major consideration. Is this view very
> widely
> shared among leftists, or on this list?

Depends on what you mean by growth. "Services" can grow too, not just "goods." My own position is that "better" should be more important than "more." But I also like "new," and as I recall you don't.

It is far from impossible that we could get forms of energy that pollute little or not at all, which would entirely change the picture.

Doug