[lbo-talk] Growth

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Jul 2 19:03:42 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Dennis Claxton quoted the Black Agenda Report as saying:

> http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=260&Itemid=33
>

>> The wife of the Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, who was
>> murdered in Pakistan by Al-Quaida associates, is Black. Hollywood
>> chose to cast her as a white woman, Angelina Jolie, for the film, A
>> Mighty Heart.

IIRC, there were two competing film projects originally competing to make this book, and between that and having written the book and having rights to it, Marianne Pearl was in a strong position to veto anyone playing her she didn't like. Also it may all be magazine and fluff TV gossip, but my impression was that she liked having Jolie play her.

Latly, calling up a bunch of pictures on Google image, I have to say that to me at least, Jolie with a tan and frizzy hair actually does look kind of like Marianne in several of them -- except for the part where she's way more beautiful. Which could possibly be why she enjoyed having her play her.

Michael