[lbo-talk] First Principles First

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 3 02:10:06 PDT 2007

On 7/1/07, Peter Ward <peterhartward at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I describe myself as libertarian (or anarchist or otherwise use
> the terms) I mean: I think that authority of humans over others is
> fundamentally unjust unless the relationship is genuinely voluntary.*

Personally, I find these to be pretty convincing formulations:

* Anarchism has no real definition, but major strands have in

common the idea that authority is illegitimate by default. The

burden of proof to justify authority is on the person wielding

it. This burden of proof can be met in some cases, the typical

example being using physical force to restrain your child from

running off into the street; the justification's obvious.

* Anarchism is not so much an ideology, but rather about

anti-authoritarian impulses people have.

Not only do these fit many peoples' intuitions, but they're practical guides to evaluating some anarchist's claims about some system they find questionable.

> If anyone disagree with me on principle I would be interested to here
> why. I am not interested in whether or not Mikail Bakunin or Bertrand
> Russell, or anyone else was a saint or not (that was never a claim I
> made to begin with).

Having recently looked a bit at Bakunin's "invisible dictatorship," it seems more as an attempt to have a minimal central authority, a barely justifiable one, one easily dissolved. It was all he was willing to accept:

"After the initial revolutionary victory the political

revolutionaries, those advocates of brazen dictatorship, will try

to squelch the popular passions. They appeal for order, for trust

in, for submission to those who, in the course and in the name of

the Revolution, seized and legalized their own dictatorial powers;

this is how such political revolutionaries reconstitute the

State. We, on the contrary, must awaken and foment all the dynamic

passions of the people. We must bring forth anarchy, and in the

midst of the popular tempest, we must be the invisible pilots

guiding the Revolution, not by any kind of overt power but by the

collective dictatorship of all our allies [members of the

anarchist vanguard organization International Alliance of Social

Democracy], a dictatorship without tricks, without official

titles, without official rights, and therefore all the more

powerful, as it does not carry the trappings of power. This is the

only dictatorship I will accept, but in order to act, it must

first be created, it must be prepared and organized in advance,

for it will not come into being by itself, neither by discussions,

nor by theoretical disputations, nor by mass propaganda

meetings..."

I think this was covered pretty decently at Wikipedia, at least for a non-scholar like me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Bakunin#Violence.2C_Revolution_and_.22Invisible_dictatorship.22

(There are of course problems with Bakunin, like anti-semitism, but I hear Marx and Engels were racist too. I could be wrong though.)

That said, I've often noticed that anarchists discuss justifiable forms of "dictatorship." Like if you're in a workplace, you should be dictator over whether you can put pictures of your family on your desk. Because that affects you, and the principle of self-management means others don't get input on that decision. So, you decide that by fiat.

Tayssir