[lbo-talk] The Situation in Palestine: A Trap of Miserable Choices and Dead Ends

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Tue Jul 3 05:34:53 PDT 2007

The Situation in Palestine: A Trap of Miserable Choices and Dead Ends

Written by Nassar Ibrahim, Alternative Information Center (AIC)

With the events that have been taking place in the Gaza Strip and the depths to which they reached, the Palestinian tragedy has moved to the level of farce.

True, some may laugh at our situation now—the Palestinians have two states:

Gazastan or Hamasistan and Westbankstan or Fatahstan. Some are now talking about a solution of two states for one people or three states for two people!

These people have every right to poke fun at our tragedy-turned-farce, with bloodshed on the streets of Gaza following infighting between brothers turned foes. Still, in spite of the bloody outcome, the resulting violent tear in the Palestinian political fabric and the ramifications these have on the social and moral levels, there are still major questions that require answers.

Why and how did matters reach such a point? Who is responsible for pushing Palestinian society to the precipice of internal fighting? And what are the reasons that turned our tragedy into farce? Finally, what options are open to the various parties?

Dealing with these questions in a methodological and accurate fashion requires a return to the beginning so that our study and evaluation is not a superficial and naïve process, as if the bloody events occurred on the spur of the moment without any background. This radically contradicts the logic imposed by the analysis of any socio-political event.

A methodological reading of the events will protect the analysis from hasty and erroneous conclusions. It will also provide us with an opportunity to view it in its historical, political and social context, thus uncovering the depth of the crisis, the failed strategies or the exaggerated wagers on delusional and feeble choices.

This method of studying the events will force us to go back to the factors that brought these contradictions to the Palestinian arena, so that we do not fall into the illusion of interpreting the infighting that gripped the Gaza Strip as if it were simply a reaction. The truth is that it was a reflection of the growing struggle between visions and options of the feuding political forces, regardless of the political rhetoric of each one and their justifications for resorting to arms as a way of defending the Palestinian national interest, as if this interest could not be achieved except though shedding Palestinian blood at the hands of other Palestinians.

[...]

To read the whole article: http://www.alternativenews.org/blogs/nassar-ibrahim/the-trap-of-the-miserable-choices-leading-to-a-dead-end-20070628.html