[lbo-talk] Liberalism (Was Re: Nietzsche)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 09:28:11 PDT 2007

What's your alternative? Which of:

competitive elections universal suffrage extensive civil and political liberties democratic decisionmaking (as opposed to imposition of someone's idea of the good life will-we-nil-we)

would you give up? What would you replace them with? What eclectic ideas could we mix in with a gutted liberalism that would be better?

I leave out the free markets, lots of people here would give those up, but they are not an essential component of _political_ liberalism.

As I said to Carrol, who asserted of list that liberalism is as dead as Marxism-Leninism, I fear that liberalism may be dying. But the alternatives are exceedingly grim. George W. Bush and this Christofascists have an alternative, so do the Islamists, but I don't want mix and match their ideas with those of Madison and Dewey, thank you.