[lbo-talk] Hipsterville

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 3 09:44:27 PDT 2007

Blackmail wrote:

>sure hipsters look for cheap rents [and mortgages,] like a lot of other
>folks.

In the middle of the dotcom boom in San Francisco I read a newspaper article quoting a hipster realtor saying, and I remember this pretty much verbatim, "why should these people have to pay taxes for schools, they don't have any kids." That's a problem. Not to mention that when an area becomes "hip", it generally becomes much less interesting, because a big part of the mix of people, and places, that made it interesting before has been priced out of the neighborhood. That's what happened south of Market in San Francisco.