[lbo-talk] Hipsterville

Blackmail blackmail.is.my.life at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 11:02:50 PDT 2007

i think that something this discussion [and richard florida's 'work' too] are missing is the fact that not all hipsters fall into the same income categories, have the same life opportunities, etc. before we break out pitchforks and torches to oust the hipsters, let's realize that all folks who dress smartly and listen to good music whatever else aren't the same folks who look sort of similar but have big condos and drive bmws. those folks are typically cue takers whereas folks in the former category are trendsetters. i live in urban outfitters homebase and i can tell you that they pirate the arts and crafts of folks in the trendsetting category to be mass marketed to those in the cue taking group. does that make sense? i think we're probably talking about i bankers with neat haircuts and on that score i can agree that they're pretty scummy people -- like fitzgerald's tom buchanan listening to panda bear on his iPod.

but yeah, haterade for hipsters is old hat at this point. truth is, most folks don't self-identify as hipsters.

cheers, jt.