[lbo-talk] Hipsterville

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 3 11:49:29 PDT 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> There's another quote I first read on lbotalk, probably also posted
> by Doug, from Horkheimer that fits here:
>
> >Well-informed cynicism is only another mode of conformity

Is this good or bad? I have never understood what people mean when they speak of "conformity," since (I think without exception*) any behavior labelled "nonconformity" will turn out to be simply conformity to "something else." Possible exception: a person who suffers from serious psychotic symptoms might be seriously nonconformist.

Carrol