[lbo-talk] Liberalism (Was Re: Nietzsche)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 12:17:17 PDT 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>
>On Jul 3, 2007, at 12:28 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
> > What's your alternative? Which of:
> >
> > competitive elections
> > universal suffrage
> > extensive civil and political liberties
> > democratic decisionmaking (as opposed to imposition of
> > someone's idea of the good life will-we-nil-we)
>
>You keep listing these as attributes of liberalism, but 19th century
>liberals weren't terribly interested in lots of them ...

Not to mention 20th and 21st century liberals haven't been interested in lots of them. AFAIC, the practice of singing hosannas to liberalism should have expired with Isaiah Berlin.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01