[lbo-talk] Growth

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:57:31 PDT 2007

On 7/4/07, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Gar Lipow wrote:
> I still think substantial desalinization will be needed. Between our
> current unsustainable mining of the water table, and disruption of our
> water supply by climate chaos, I doubt efficiency and rainwater
> capture alone will supply our future needs.
> What do you think about taking moisture out of the air? There's this inventor
> in Perth, Max Whisson who has designed a wind powered machine to do just that.

Sounds good, depending on the details - which of course are not currently available. One point that concerns me slightly is the verticle orientation. Vertical wind generators can extract power at much lower speeds than horizontal. But they make up for this advantage by extracting power much less efficiently - especially at higher speeds where most of the power exists. On the other hand I'm guessing for this application that power requirements per liter of water are low (compared to stuff like desalinization) and that the main point is accessing a large volume of air. So I'm not ruling out that this will be possible at reasonable price. Also this sort of setup avoids most of the environmental costs of desalinization, and most of the environmental costs of wind generators as well. (Birds and bats are really unlikely to bash themselves into slow turning vertical axis machines.) Once that is taken into consideration, it really does sound like something with potential.

Obviously this can't really be judged without details. The patent process usually takes a while, but you can safely release patented information once it reaches the patent pending stage. So if details are not released within a reasonable time then the guy is a crank or a scammer.