[lbo-talk] Liberalism (Was Re: Nietzsche)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 4 11:48:39 PDT 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 2:25 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I thought the issue was about substance. The critics
> of liberalism (Carl, Carrol, Doug maybe?, certainly
> Charles and Yoshiem others) were saying that the
> political institutions and practices I called liberal
> were exhausted or inextricably bound up with something
> bad. I was challenging them to explain what they had
> that was better.

It's not that the things you call "liberal" are bad. They're not; most of them are quite good. But by calling them "liberal" rather than something else, you're giving the likes of Ted Sorensen too much credit. Bourgeois liberals would happily restrict political freedoms if they interfered with their economic privileges. In fact, they've done that many times. It was Wilson's administration that sponsored the Palmer raids and kept The Nation out of the mails during World War I. Truman gave us purges and loyalty oaths. And Sorensen, via Kennedy, gave us all that Cold War rhetoric. Fuck 'em all.

Doug