[lbo-talk] Japan minister quits over gaffe

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 06:02:00 PDT 2007

On 7/4/07, uvj at vsnl.com <uvj at vsnl.com> wrote:
> BBC News
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/
>
> Last Updated: Tuesday, 3 July 2007
>
> Japan minister quits over gaffe
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6263812.stm
>
> [Fumio Kyuma said he was sorry for the trouble he had caused]
>
> Japan's Defence Minister Fumio Kyuma has resigned amid a furore over
> comments he made about the US atom bomb attacks on Japan during World War
> II.
>
> His apology, and a public rebuke from PM Shinzo Abe, failed to quell anger
> over his remarks that the bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima were inevitable.
>
> The resignation comes at a sensitive time for Mr Abe, who faces national
> elections at the end of July.
>
> Mr Kyuma is being replaced by national security adviser Yuriko Koike.
>
> Mr Kyuma is the second minister to resign under Mr Abe. A farms minister,
> also hit by scandal, committed suicide in May.

Regarding Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Robert G. Joseph (cf. <http://rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/1235>), United States Special Envoy for Nuclear Nonproliferation (!), claimed at the press conference of the third of July that consensus among historians is that a-bombs saved not only the lives of hundreds of thousands of soldiers of the allied powers but also those of millions of Japanese ("米特使、「原爆使用が何百万人もの日本人の命救った」," 4 July 2007, <http://www.asahi.com/politics/update/0704/TKY200707040381.html>). I suppose he won't be resigning, let alone committing suicide.

Yuriko Koike, who replaced Fumio Kyuma, is a graduate of the School of Oriental Studies at the American University of Cairo, and she made a public criticism of the US venture in the Middle East -- rare in the LDP -- though she is a hawk on North Korea:

Two areas where Koike has concentrated much of

her attention are the Middle East and the Korean

Peninsula. She has called for a quick end to the war

in Iraq, and warns the United States is mistaken if it

thinks it can quickly bring democracy to that part of

the world.

"America's plan to democratize the Middle East is

extremely naive," she said. "Slow democratization is

best for regional peace. But America's plan is drastic.

It could destabilize countries like Egypt so they end

up like Algeria."

If Koike is dovish on the war in Iraq, she is one of the

fiercest hawks when it comes to a country much

closer to Japan.

For the past few years, she has been one of the Diet's

most trenchant critics of the North Korean regime,

supporting relatives of those who were abducted by

Pyongyang and calling on the Japanese government to

cut the flow of funds to North Korea by demanding that

no public money be used to bail out failed "chogin,"

Korean credit unions that are pro-Pyongyang.

"The root of the North Korea problem is money from

Japan," she said. "Japan, particularly the chogin, is North

Korea's purse, and the (pro-Pyongyang) group that opens

and closes the purse is the General Association of Korean

Residents in Japan (Chongryun)." (Eric Johnston, "Japan

Needs Spine to Stand Up, Cut Its Losers: Koike," 10 April

2003, <http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20030410b3.html>)

But she, like the rest of Japan's ruling establishment, is nevertheless committed to the same dumb American policy toward the Middle East: "Address by Yuriko Koike, Special Advisor to the Prime Minster for National Security Affairs, Japan," 9 December 2006, <http://www.iiss.org/conferences/the-iiss-regional-security-summit/the-manama-dialogue-2006/day-one-plenary-sessions/address-by-yuriko-koike>.

In her response to the November 2003 Mainichi questionnaire for House candidates, Koike said that Japan should consider nuclear armament depending on the state of the world: <http://www.jcp.or.jp/akahata/aik4/2006-10-21/2006102102_03_0.html>. The JCP, ever pacifist, thinks that's a bad thing. It would be actually interesting, though, if Japan developed nuclear weapons and independent Middle East policy (without the former the latter would be probably impossible), except neither Koike nor any other LDP politician would do any such thing (nor would any left-wing party contemplate it). Japan's rulers are like the Kemalists of Turkey, and their nationalism is ultimately only directed against their neighbors and minority nations in their own country, not against Washington.

The Asahi polls demonstrate profound political alienation: "自民、04年より逆風 「年金選挙」1カ月前 世論調査," 5 July 2007, <http://www.asahi.com/politics/update/0704/TKY200707040458.html>. Both the LDP and the DP have declined. -- Yoshie